The internet is a big part of many people’s lives. We use it to play games, to buy things, to share pictures and music with friends, and even to order pizza!
We need to remember to be careful. If we don’t use the internet safely we can have problems. Check out these top tips to help you stay safe online!
Top Tips for Staying Safe Online
- Tip 1: Once you post a picture online, like on Facebook or Instagram, it is the property of the website, so be careful what types of pictures you share.
- Tip 2: Never give your real name, address, school name or other personal information to people you don’t know. Also, never tell anyone your passwords as they will be able to use them to get into your accounts.
- Tip 3: If you see any information or pictures, or get any messages that make you feel uncomfortable, tell your parent or guardian right away.
- Tip 4: Never arrange to meet up with people that you talk to online, but you have never met in person. Remember that people online might not always be who they say they are.
- Tip 5: Do not download anything without telling you parent or guardian first. Downloading things can damage your computer and can sometimes cost money.
- Tip 6: Respect people online the same as you should in the real world. Never be rude or nasty to anyone, even if they have been rude or nasty to you first.
Do you have any other tips for staying safe online? Contact us and you may see them added to our list!
You can also check out Issue 1 of the We Think Safe to Stay Safe Ezine for more information on internet safety, and our internet safety resources made by young people like you!